Top Ten Dog Breeds
Top Ten Dog Breeds Found In UK Homes
Are you considering buying a dog as a family pet? Want to know what the top ten dog breeds are in the UK right now!
To be fair the most popularly owned and bred dogs in the UK today stay fairly consistent every year and normally the same breeds of dogs will appear on the list again and again.
So what are the most popular dogs today? Well according to the Kennel Club we have seen few changes from previous years. Let us start the list with the most popular and work our way down.
1. The Labrador Retriever always a firm favourite within the UK. Originally bred as a gun dog, they are now also highly valued as loyal, loving and friendly family pets that are known for being great with children as well as intelligent and easy to train. They are held in high regard with the UK.
2. The show type Cocker Spaniel is also a very popular breed and statistics show that they are most likely to win the Best in Show title at Crufts, having won the title seven times over the years! The working type Cocker is now starting to achieve popularity as a family pet. They are not always ideal as a pet dog as they were bred for hunting the Eurasian Woodcock so some can still have this very high prey drive.
3. The English Springer Spaniel is generally an affectionate, fun-loving and incredibly good-natured dog. The Springer Spaniel loves to play, chase and run, and is the perfect companion for energetic children! They can however become bored when they do not receive enough exercise.
4. The GSD (German Shepherd Dog) also known by some as the Alsatian is a large dog of German origin. It is quite a young breed in dog terms only really making an appearance towards the end of the 19th century. The German Shepherd Dog is prized for its loyalty and intelligence, and can often be found in working roles alongside the police or military.
5. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier or Staffy is in at number five but it was not long ago the Staffordshire Bull Terrier was in the number one spot! The SBT is a loyal dog that forms close bonds with his family and makes the perfect companion for young and old alike.
6. The Border Terrier, is a small rough-coated terrier type hailing from the borders of Scotland. They are comical, fun-loving and lively little dogs. While the Border Terrier generally gets on well with the human, like many other terriers they often see cats and other smaller pets as a possible snack!
7. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or Cavvy as they are often known is the third Spaniel type on this list. Sharing all the normal Spaniel traits including loyalty the Cavalier is blessed with a sweet, playful and sociable nature and is often popular as a lap dog.
8. The Golden Retriever comes from working gundog back ground. They are also renowned for their loyalty and ability to work with people. This breed is now often found in many different working roles such as search and rescue, assistance for blind or deaf people, and as sniffer dogs.
9. The Pug is an intelligent, entertaining and nice-natured dog that originated from China. With looks that are unique and distinctive through breeding these dogs have developed health issues but still remain a popular breed.
10. The Boxer myth says they were named as such because of the ‘boxing’ motions they make when fighting or play fighting. Like many strong breeds, the Boxer has fallen in favour in recent years. None the less they are holding on in the number ten position.
So there you go the top ten dog breeds most popular within the UK. However, when we talk about the popularity of a dog breed we are talking in terms of their ranking on the ‘top ten’ list published by the Kennel Club, we are not talking about the dogs that are most liked by the people, or that are the most sought after. The statistic refers to the number of dogs of that breed registered in the UK compared to other breeds.
If you are considering introducing a dog into your family then before you decide take some time to research and consider what breed of dog is right for you.